Visitors and Support
Selectid List of Visitores
This is short list of some of the people that have visited the herbarium
or have been as-sisted by it.
- Archer, Robert. Collecting and help with Celastraceae.
- Boyd, Wane (TPA Nature conservation). Plant surveys.
- Bridson, Diane (Kew). Matters pertaining to the family Rubiaceae.
- Bruyns, Pieter. Collecting of Stapeliades.
- Burgoyne, Pricilla. Collecting.
- Charles, R. Peters, (Anthropology USA). Visit.
- Crouch, Neil. Collecting.
- CSIR, Forestec. Plant surveys.
- Dehning, Bob (Tree Society). Visit.
- Dendrological Society. Outings and specialist information.
- Edwards, Trevor. Collecting.
- Fish, Warren (Schoemansdal, Archaeologist). Plant surveys on
early Iron Age sites and help with pytogeography.
- Geldenhuis, Coert. CSIR, plant surveys.
- Jaco Greeff. Fig trees and the wasps that inhabit their figs
- Hardy, David. Collecting
- Hankey, Andrew. Collecting
- Hartmann, Heidrum (Germany). Collecting and help on finding localities
- Hartzer, Pascal. Collection and help on Mesembryanthemacea.
- Hearn, David J. Collecting of Adenia
- Huting, Jerome. The Venerable Trees of the Earth
- Jackson, Seu. Help on study of Faurea sp. flower visitors
and nectar production.
- Leach, Larry. Help with Euphorbias in the Soutpansberg.
- Mabogo, Edward. Visit.
- Maguire, Judy. Visit.
- Miller, Sidney (Archaeologist, Thulamela). Plant surveys on archaeological
- NBI, Pretoria Staff. General Plant collecting.
- Retief, Elizabeth. Help on revising the genus Rhoicissus.
- SAFCOL. Plant information.
- Schoemansdal Museum. Plant Information.
- Soutpansberg Rock Art Conservation Working Group. Assistance
in plant identification and compiling of taxon lists for individual
rock art sits.
- Swart, Pricilla. Collecting of plants for National Botanical
- Tshikondeni Mine. The compiling of an identification guide on
their rare and endangered flora.
- Tree society. Plant information and identification.
- van der Kooy, Frank. ESCOM, plant surveys.
- van Jaarsveld, Ernst. Collecting
- van Wyk, Braam. General collecting for their herbarium and specific
collecting concerning problem groups.
- Van Wyk, Piet. Collecting and photographing trees.
- Venda, University of -, Biology Students. Ecology and Ethnobotany
- Venter, Fanie. Collecting.
- Vogel, John. CSIR. Dendrocronology on Androstachys johnsonii.
- Weisser, Pablo. General information and ecological surveys.
- Western Soutpansberg Conservation Working Group. Information.
- Winter, Pieter. Collecting.
- Williams, Vivienne. Collecting of Ethnobotanical material
Other than my personal studies as already mentioned the herbarium
has been used for numerous protects. Some of the more noteworthy projects
are as follows.
The proclamation of Natural heritage sites and the identification
of areas of Natural impor-tance are a regular concern of mine whereby
the use of the herbarium is invaluable. At present, various landowners
are trying to proclaim the western Soutpansberg as a con-servancy.
ESCOM hired me to do a plant survey along their servitude running
parallel to an existing 132 kV power line running from Louis Trichardt
to Messina. The old power line needed upgrading, for which the second
servitude would be utilised for the erection of the new line. An undescribed
Euphorbia sp. was found growing in the servitude which is awaiting
description. Specimens of it and some others found in the survey area
are housed in the herbarium.
I undertook the plant surveys for the CSIR Biosphere Concept funded
by the Department of Environmental Affairs. All specimens collected
for this survey and their identifications were done with the aid of
The entire herbarium collection is computerized. Electronic information
on herbarium specimens is availibile on request.